Lungworm

Check reported lungworm cases in your area

Click here
The lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) is a parasite that can cause serious health problems in dogs and can even be fatal if not diagnosed and treated.
Slugs and snails carry the lungworm larvae, and dogs can become infected when they accidentally (or purposefully) eat these common garden pests whilst rummaging through undergrowth, eating grass, drinking from puddles or outdoor water bowls, or pick them up from their toys.
The lungworm Angiostrongylus vasorum is now endemic throughout much of the UK.

Prevention & treatment


Treatment is available and can result in full recovery, but as this parasite can be fatal it is important to consider prevention. Preventative products are available and with regular use prevention is easy to achieve.

Your veterinary surgeon can recommend a parasite control programme for your dog. If your dog eats slugs and snails, but is not showing any symptoms, arrange a check up with your veterinary surgeon as a precaution.

Always speak to your vet because not all worming products are effective against this particular parasite.

Reported lungworm cases in the local area up to September 2017